Sunday, November 8, 2009

Blog Post #7

In a similar question I have talked about BrainPop, which I loved in middle school. However, I think tonight I'll focus on The Stock Market Game. It is a web-based simulation of the stock market. Students begin by investing "$100,000" in a company or companies of their choice, then monitor the stock market and continue to buy and sell shares for about 10 days. This teaches students valuable skills in math and finance as well as instills a healthy competitive spirit. We played a similar game when I was in middle school and it was quite enjoyable. You can visit the website and learn more by clicking Here.

The most obvious answer to how I will use Excel as a teacher is as a grade book. I love the idea of excel because it will make organizing the students assignments and grades very easy. The only problem is the possibility of losing all of it, but that is simply avoided by backing up the file and making sure to take proper precautions against viruses as well as not mistreating the computer itself.

In a classroom setting itself, I'd probably use it to aid science projects. For example, a study on plant growth. Each student plants a seed in a Dixie cup and puts them on the windowsills. Every day the student is responsible for watering the plant and measuring its growth. The students record the data on their own data sheet. Each day they take turns adding it to the class Excel file. At the end of the project the students will hand draw line graphs, and compare them to the graph they made in Excel.

5 comments:

  1. I remember playing the stock market game in middle school. I didn't really understand it, but it was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Excel good for science projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of my teachers kept track of grades with excel and with by hand in case the computer system crashed or they weren't near a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I will definitely use Excel as my gradebook! It will be a good tool to use to keep everything organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Stock Market Game" seems like a really fun tool to teach students about the economy. I had never heard of anyone doing that before, I wish my economics teachers would have known about this game! It's a really great idea to use excel for recording scientific data. It can keep students organized and teach them a lot about using MS Excel

    ReplyDelete